ORDER SOON FOR DELIVERY BEFORE CHRISTMAS
All Jewelry 90% OFF with CODE JEWELRY90

Antique 19th Century E Challinor Amula Teal Green / Turquoise Transferware Polychrome Dinner Plate Victorian Urn & Roses

$39.99

Brand E Challinor

For consideration is this vividly colored, large ironstone plate by Edward Challinor in the Amula pattern, Circa 1842-67.  It is a wonderful 8 sided piece done in a teal / turquoise green transfer.  The face depicts an urn surrounded by exotic botanicals.  It has a floral border with an inner border of delicate scrollwork.  Hand enameled paint in shades of lime, burgundy, blue and gold decorate the flowers, leaves and urn.

Measures:  9 5/8"

Condition There are no chips or cracks.  There are some small pops in the glaze and one with a light glaze flake on the rim.  Heavily crazed with some browning, mostly on the back.

I have been commissioned to sell an entire set of this lovely pattern.  Serving pieces, plates, cups and a tea set will be added soon.

Edward was born to  William Challinor, an attorney of Pickwood, Leek and Mary nee Bagnall on July 18, 1792.  He was apprenticed at an early age to J. and R. Riley of Burslem, whose factory was located at the site which later became Hill Top Pottery.

He purchased The Over House Works in 1819 which had previously been owned and operated by the Wedgwood family for the past 200 years. There he began business on his own account.  In 1828 he began leasing the works out to other potters and he joined John Wood making pottery at Brownhills, Tunstall.

In 1869, the old works were entirely taken down and a new and extensive manufactory was erected with all the latest improvements of machinery and appliances, the jiggers all being driven by steam-power and the drying stoves heated by exhaust steam. 

The rebuilding, after half a century of active occupation by one person, was thus commemorated with a sign in ornamental scroll stonework and carved brickwork surrounded by Minton tiles with the inscription: 
‘Edward Challinor commenced business here A.D. 1819, and rebuilt the premises A.D. 1869.’  

The new manufactory was opened in 1870 by Ralph Hammersley, who moved here from the Church Bank Pottery at Tunstall and who had previously been involved in businesswith Mr. Challinor for twenty years.  Edward Challinor never married and died on April 16, 1879. 

Today the Over House Manufactory houses Royal Stafford, one of the few remaining factories producing traditional high fired English earthenware, drawing its warmth and charm from the natural clays which are still mined in the South of England.  There is also a Factory Shop and Ceramics Cafe' on the premises where you can paint your own piece of pottery.

 

-->