Circa 1834 Antique Park Scenery Staffordshire Light Blue Transferware Plate Bull Cow & Deer
This product is unavailable
This very desirable blue transferware plate depicting a bull and deer dates to 1834 and was produced by G Phillips of Longport. The pattern is called Park Scenery and is highly collectible. Surrounding the center scene is a unique inner border of delicate flowers and star / kaleidoscope bursts. The wide rim features rosebuds set against a light blue jacquard design.
The Phillips pottery was founded by 22 and 20 year old brothers, Edward and George Phillips, in 1822. One of the brothers, Edward, was married to Benedicta Wedgwood, who had become the ward of Josiah Wedgwood after the death of her father, Thomas, of the Overhouse Works. The brothers leased the New Bridge pottery in Longport which had been vacant since 1817. It was superbly located on the Trent and Mersey Canal.
The older brother, Edward, was enthusiastic about the possibilities of exporting their wares to America as other potters nearby were already involved with trade to America. In September 1831, he along with his wife and children were on their way to America when tragedy struck and Edward was killed in a carriage accident. His widow sold her interest in the pottery to George in 1834 and the marks were changed to G. PHILLIPS. George continued many of the patterns, and while maintaining the quality of earlier wares, he also introduced two new patterns, Verona and Park Scenery, which were both enormously popular. Park Scenery was produced in red, green, blue and brown. Sadly, George also met with an untimely death, at the age of 45. The following year, his factory and home were auctioned and his wife left Staffordshire with their children to start a new life in Australia.
A partial dinner service in blue is in the collection of Olde York Historical Society in York, Maine. The Hollis NH Historical Society owns a platter, and shards have been excavated in Deerfield, MA. Many of the buildings on the New Bridge site survived well into the 20th century, and the master potter’s house, occupied by George Phillips and his family until 1841, is now the Duke of Bridgewater Inn. The bottle ovens and factory buildings were demolished in the mid twentieth century.
Measures: appx 9 3/8"
Condition: Minor glaze pops, wear around the rim and one tiny nick at about 11:00 which just barely penetrates the glaze. It's not very noticeable at all.