Early 19th Century Davenport Pastoral Staffordshire Blue Transferware Plate
Mid 1800’s blue Transferware by Davenport in an unusual, slightly octagon shape. It has a pretty pastoral scene.
John Davenport, born in 1765 and began his potting career in 1785 as a workman in the pottery. He later partnered with Thomas Wolfe of Stoke and then acquired his own pottery at Longport in 1794 and manufactured earthenware. The name was changed to William Davenport and Company. William died in 1869, and his two sons took over the direction of the business, which remained in the family until 1887.
Dates from 1830-1840
Condition: No chips or cracks. Some surface scratches and brown pitted spots as shown in close up photos.